Thursday, January 7, 2010

A New Semester!

I was absent from blog world over break, enjoying my vacation and seeing family.  I also learned a lot and read a few books.  All in all, a good break, but, as always, too short.

Books I read:
I'm kind of on a Madeline L'Engle kick.  Reread all of the Wrinkle in Time series last semester with the exception of An Acceptable Time, which I reread over break.  I also read L'Engle's first novel, The Small Rain.  This was the first time I had read anything other than the Chronos/Kairos/Austen series and it was quite enjoyable.  A bit slow-moving, but You really get involved in the main character's life.  Evidently A Live Coal in the Sea features the same character, but much older.  It's definitely on my list.

I also read A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller.  A very good read, if you ask me.  Inspiring.  I need to read it again, but slower this time (it only took me three sittings, most of which were only an hour or two long).

Things I learned:
I had great ambitions of learning php over break, but that didn't happen.  It's still on the list, but I got a stomach bug while with family, so I spent most of my time just laying down and watching tv/movies or sleeping.

Instead, I learned how to make books!  Wendy of Windy Weather Bindery in Grand Rapids came and taught a class at my mom's condo for my mother and I and a few other ladies my mom knows.  We did the coptic binding.  I enjoyed it so much that I've been a bookmaking fiend since returning to Ann Arbor.  I went to Hollander's to pick up binder's board, PVA, methyl cellulose, beeswax... I already had some supplies from the class.  Since then, I've attempted two other bindings -- the "secret" belgian binding and the buttonhole binding (completely glueless!!).  I'm also signed up to take a few bookbinding and book repair classes at Hollander's.  I'm hoping to take photos of all of my books soon.

Speaking of photos, I got a flash for my camera!  A Nikon Speedlight sb-900 to be exact.  I'm still learning how to use it and how to bounce flash properly.  Hopefully my husband, Steve, will have some time to show me how to use it properly sometime -- he's a fantastic photographer (check out his Flickr!).

And of course, I'll be learning lots this semester in my classes.  I'm taking a grantwriting and fundraising class through the School of Social Work here at UM, management, and a research course entitled "Outcome-based Evaluation of Programs and Services."  And then it's graduation!

Should be a good semester!  I'll try to keep updates going!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to hear that you are so inspired to make books, Abby. That's great! And I am also happy to hear that you are taking advantage of Hollanders, since you live so close (I'm jealous!). I would love to see some pictures of the books you have made. Happy bookmaking!

    ReplyDelete