Monday, March 22, 2010

Busy Bee!

Ok, so I'm still crazy busy.  Working on my grant proposal, management case studies, and evaluation for the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum has kept me on my toes.  On top of that, we're starting our pilot of Social Media for Public Health in a couple of weeks (and I have a lot of work to do!).

So, this all seems like it should be manageable, but there have been some special circumstances the last few weeks.  First off, I've been applying for jobs.  I really wish that you didn't have to type in all of the information from your resume into the applications.  It makes a single application take so much time.  Second, I've been taking more hours on the desk at Taubman, mostly subbing for people who have been sick or on vacation.  I've also been working on a project identifying top players in the schools the Health Sciences Libraries serves.  That's been an interesting but tedious project.  Third, I've been doing a lot of outreach with Kate.  Last week Friday I went to the Great Lakes Chapter of the Society of Public Health Education in East Lansing.  I manned the table and also helped Kate and Gillian teach public health professionals how to use Facebook Fan Pages and Twitter.  It was nice to see how the project I'm working on involving social media will fulfill a need within the public health community.  I'm also going to be at the Partners in Research event at Ann Arbor District Library this week.  It's about the diagnosis and treatment of OCD, so it should be quite interesting and very related to the work I did at the FRIENDS Depression Education Resource Center (FDERC) this past summer.  While I really like academic libraries, I do think I could be ok in patient education.

I've also been trying to keep up with the news and current library information.  It doesn't hurt that I'm constantly checking my Google Reader account for new job postings.  It really gets me there reading the blogs and news that will help keep me up to date.  I can't help but feel a little overwhelmed by it all, though.  Sometimes I come back to my computer and have almost 200 unread items!  Some items, though, are not so good.  I'm still trying to figure out what blogs I like.  Librarians out there (and non-librarians, alike!), what are some good blogs that you follow?

And finally, I have succumbed full-force to the addiction of knitting.  I keep finding such cool patterns on Ravelry and I want to try them all!  My most recent creations have included the Grrrrr! washcloth from Knitty and the Springtime Bandit shawl/kerchief from Kelbourne Woolens (where I got the pattern for my Give a Hoot mittens).  Pictures soon (as soon as I block the shawl and put the face on the washcloth).

Alas, it is almost time for my second class of the day.  As I always say, I really am going to try to be better about posting!

No comments:

Post a Comment